The selection and appointment of experts for an Accreditation Panel is carried out by HAHE to avoid conflicts of interest and to preserve the integrity of the process.
When appointing experts to an Accreditation Panel, the key requirement is that the members of the Panel should have a sufficient level of knowledge, experience, and expertise to conduct the review to a high standard and be totally independent of the HEI or SP under review. Experts are required to notify HAHE in writing of any connection with the HEI/SP which could result in a potential conflict of interest. Furthermore, experts are required to notify the HAHE Coordinator as soon as possible of any changes which occur during the process.
The Accreditation Panel consists of five (5) members. The Panel may include one student member in accordance with ENQA standards. In case of study programmes under accreditation leading to the exercise of legislatively regulated professions, one member of the Panel comes from the relevant professional association or chamber.
In addition, when appointing a Panel, the following selection criteria are applied:
- All Panel members must have been trained by HAHE;
- At least two Panel members come from foreign countries;
- The Panel Chair must come from a foreign country, have previous experience taking part in a HAHE External Evaluation Committee/Accreditation Panel and have fluent knowledge of English which is the main working language, and/or of Greek;
- At least one member of the Panel has good knowledge and understanding of higher education in Greece;
- At least two members of the Panel must have fluent knowledge of English;
- Gender balance is taken into consideration to the greatest extent possible;
- No experts who had any kind of cooperation with the HEI/SP under review within the last five years can take part in the Panel;
- Current members of the HAHE Board are not eligible to become members of the Accreditation Panel.
The QAU of the reviewed Institution must notify HAHE in writing of any potential conflict of interest of one or more members of the Panel with the HEI/SP under review. The QAU is also given the opportunity to comment on the selected members of the Accreditation Panel.
The Accreditation Panel must be approved by the HAHE Board. To grant its approval the Board should take into consideration the CVs of all Panel members, and that all selection criteria are met.
After the Accreditation Panel has been established, the HAHE Coordinator notifies the experts of its composition and facilitates contact between the members and the Panel Chair and with the contact person who has been appointed by the QAU of the relevant HEI for the accreditation process of the IQAS/SP.
- Review of institutional material submitted to the HAHE
- Interview individuals (e.g. students, staff) during the site visit
- Participation in HAHE briefings
- Preparation of accreditation/evaluation report